Sunday, January 27, 2013

A Happy Hour at the American Embassy - Don't Mind if I Do!

Let's tackle some serious issues here kids - namely booze. As most of you know, I have been known to enjoy a cocktail or two (or ten- don't judge me). As a matter of fact, as a person with few hobbies and a strong desire to be out and about as opposed to staying at home, I find drinking to be a very enjoyable pastime. This, however, becomes problematic when one moves to Norway. Norway has a special luxury tax on three items - tobacco, candy, and alcohol. Thus, alcohol is crazy expensive. If you order a beer at a bar or a restaurant, you should expect to pay at least 80-100 kroner, which is the equivalent of 15-20 USD. The only thing that I have found that is even remotely reasonable price-wise is boxed wine. I bought a box the other day, and if my math is correct, it averages out at about $12 a bottle, which I am okay with. Here is my lovely purchase:


By the way, I have a special love for boxed wine. It reminds me of when I lived with my BFF (what up, Ash!) and it has a spigot, which is decidedly awesome. Anyone who criticizes/ looks down on boxed wine hates America and drowns bunnies.

This will last me for quite a while, but I still felt ripped off. So imagine my delight when Krista (my boss at ACN) asked me if I would like to go to a Happy Hour at the American Embassy to celebrate the inauguration and mentioned that the drinks would be "American priced." Hanging out with diplomats and drinking drinks that don't cost more than the clothes I am wearing? Yes, please. It was really fun. They had cocktails called "Obama-Mamas" and "Fiscal Cliff Cocktails" that were normal prices. They also had food and the people were really friendly. I got to meet some people from the Department of Education and some of the US Marines stationed here in Norway. I also got my picture taken with cardboard cutouts of the Obamas (I will have to get the picture from Krista, she took it on her phone). It was a nice way to end the week. Well, that's it for now. Until next time... 

No comments:

Post a Comment